Coq au Vin is a traditional French dish.
Our recipe uses a dry white wine (or Chardonnay) to create a more subtle flavour that allows all the ingredients to shine.
6 Gamekeepers Chicken Drumsticks
- 6 Gamekeepers Chicken Maryland Fillets
- 4 slices of Kaiserfleisch (chopped, or pancetta)
- Olive oil
- 8 shallots
- 6 garlic cloves (whole peeled)
- 250g mushrooms (whole or halved)
- 1 cup of dry white wine or Chardonnay
- 600g Gamekeepers chicken stock
- 125g butter
- 3 tbsp of plain flour
- Sprigs of thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Flat leaf parsley (chopped)
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- Cook pancetta until golden brown. Remove the pancetta and set aside.
- In the same pan brown chicken pieces in pancetta fat over medium-high heat. Remove chicken and set aside with the pancetta.
- In the same pan add olive oil and brown the shallots until tender and translucent, add garlic and cook further for 2-3 mins. Remove cooked shallots and garlic and transfer to the same plate as chicken and pancetta.
- Add mushrooms to the pan and brown for 3-5 mins over medium-high heat.
- Return chicken, shallots, garlic, and pancetta to the pan, add thyme and bay leaves, pour wine all over, bring to boil, then add 500g of Gamekeepers chicken stock. Simmer on low for 45 mins.
- In a small saucepan make velouté with butter, flour, and left-over chicken stock. Add velouté to the pan with chicken, stir in and simmer further for 15 mins.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve with pomme puree (Paris mash) and buttered green beans.
Our chicken is sourced from Hazeldene's, the best in the business for Free Range Chicken, and ethical farming standards, our in-house butcher's breakdown the whole bird, to create the drumsticks and other cuts, specially made to order.
DELIVERY: Check our delivery locations across Victoria, with the post code checker here.
MORE RECIPES & INSPIRATIONS: View all cooking inspirations here.