Otherwise known as Liquid Gold. It’s a secret ingredient for chefs all over the world and a must have in your kitchen.
Renowned for traditional duck confit and the most delicious crispy roast potatoes but it really is so much more versatile. With it's high smoke point and lower percentage of saturated fats, it can be used in pastries, homemade popcorn, roasted vegetables or as a substitute for butter in everyday cooking.
DUCK FAT CRISPY POTATOES
Don’t get let down by mediocre roast potatoes. Here are our tips on the best restaurant quality duck fat potatoes. Crispy every time!
- Make sure you par boil the potatoes (we love to use desiree potatoes for our crispy roast potatoes), drain and give them a good shake in the saucepan to rough up the edges. Give the duck fat something to stick on to.
- In a mortar and pestle, smash up some rosemary & sea salt and dress your potatoes
- Duck fat is such a good oil for roasting potatoes as it has a really high smoke point. Heat the duck fat in a baking tray before you add the potatoes. The hotter the oil, the crisper your potatoes.
- Don’t overcrowd the potatoes. Give them some space!
- Cook for about 30mins and turn halfway through.
DUCK FAT CONFIT
Duck confit is is an adored, age-old French preparation for duck. We love to cure our duck legs overnight and gently cook them in duck fat until the meat is melting tender and the skin is crisped to golden perfection.
Our tips for restaurant quality duck confit:
- Mix together thyme, garlic, peppercorn & coarse salt and sprinkle over the duck legs at least 24hrs before cooking to draw out the moisture
- Rinse and pat dry with a paper towel
- In a heavy pot, melt the duck fat slowly and we mean very slowly, submerge the duck legs and they are ready to be devoured when the meat pulls away from the bone.
- Did you know you can also confit rabbit legs, chicken chops, goose legs.
GAMEKEEPERS MEAT: Looking for premium quality beef, lamb, pork, poultry, game and more? We’re here to help! Located in Moorabbin with an online store front, we deliver high quality meat from local stock. We are passionate about what we do. Offering a broad range of cuts you can’t get at most butchers, prepared the way you like them.
This is an inspirational guide only; recipe details and cooking information are a freestyle cooking process and are not to be taken as exact. Finished results may vary, if looking for a detailed cooking guide we recommend searching for more options on Google.